Compensation for Electricity Pylons and Electricity Cables

If you have an electricity pylon, timber pole or electricity cable passing over your land or passing very close to your land you may be entitled to compensation from the electricity company that owns the equipment.

When an electricity company has equipment on or over a property, they will often have a termed wayleave agreement giving them a temporary right to place their equipment on or over the land but in some cases may have no agreement at all.

In these circumstances owners of the land can request to have the equipment removed. However the electricity company may use statutory powers under the Electricity Act 1989 to keep their equipment on the land.

If they are successful keeping their equipment on the land they must pay the landowner compensation. Many electricity companies however will by negotiation allow property owners to convert these temporary agreements to permanent agreements.

These permanent agreements are known as 'easements' and gives the electricity company the right to keep their equipment on the land permanently. When entering into a permanent easement they will pay the landowner compensation for the effects that their equipment has on the value of the land or property.

When acting on your behalf in this respect Carrick and Company we will determine if you are eligible to make a claim for compensation. If eligible we carry out a valuation of your claim and submit this to the electricity company.

We will then carry out all negotiations with the electricity company's agents to secure you the best possible compensation achievable.